You may request defensive driving to take care of your citation. This can be done either in person or by mail. The requirements are as follows:
- You must have a Texas Drivers License
- You must show proof of liability insurance
- You cannot have taken the course in the last 12 months for another citation
- You cannot be going in excess of 25 miles over the speed limit
- You cannot take defensive driving for a no insurance citation
- You will need to get a certified copy of your driving record from the Department of Public Safety, the form will be supplied by our court when you request the course.
- There is a fee of $104.10 you must pay the court assessed by the State.
- You cannot have been charged with the following:
- Fail to stop and render aid
- Charged with passing a school bus
- Fleeing from a Police Officer
- Reckless driving
- A serious traffic violation under the CDL Law, Section 3(26).
- Charged with a violation in a construction zone with workers present.
Once the court has processed your paperwork, you will have 90 days to complete the course and turn your proof of completion of defensive driving and your certified copy of your driving record into the court. This proof will be required before we can dismiss your citation.
***You are NOT eligible for defensive driving or deferred if you hold a commercial drivers license.